. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sunday 5 March 2023

Linen kimono cowl robe



Linen substrate is one of my favorite textile substrates and ever since designing fabrics, I wanted to make a simple print with simple design on raw linen. And after 20+ collections, I finally did it.

Actually, I did something like that before, after Art Gallery Fabrics included linen as one of their substrates, within my Blithe fabric collection.

Anyway, this Sensescape Raw print in linen is my favorite print from my newest Mindscape fabric collection and I simply had to create something with it. 


Making a bag or a pillow seemed just a bit "straight forward" as a project, so I was looking to find a wearable project that would use more of the fabric. I searched for different kimono types and this one really draw my attention. So I started looking for the available patterns and found this Dolman coat that is not like a real pattern, but the instructions are clear and it's really such an easy project, so it doesn't require a really cut and collate pattern. 

Another very useful video tutorial is this one and after absorbing all the provided info, I finally made mine.

I used 3 1/2 yds of the my Sensescape Linen fabric that is 56/57" wide, and that width is the most important thing that defines the kimono's length. If using fabrics that are 42-44" wide you will obtain the kimono that will be barely knee length (for adults).



Cutting was extremely easy to do and sewing was consisting of only shoulder-upper arm seam.

The other 2 things to do are: wrist finishing (arm opening holes) and neckline/front opening.

I finished both of them with the selvage that I cut from the fabric itself, because I loved it so much, especially the fringe edge. I used it as a trim with adding the piping cord in dark purple as contrasting accent.

Another thing that I did was sewing a simple belt, so that it could be gathered more easily.

I hope that feel inspired and will make it for yourself or someone special in your ife. I think that using some sort of silky material, like rayon or similar would look even more luscious and could be great for hot summer days.

Katarina

1 comment :

STUDIOFARO said...

Thanks so much for linking to my Pattern Puzzle instructions. Your Dolman Coat is amazing and the fabric gives it a rich evening look. :)